Thanks much Marshall.
James Osbourne Holmes
a...@trail.com

-----Original Message-----
From:   Marshall Dudley [SMTP:mdud...@execonn.com]
Sent:   Tuesday, November 02, 1999 9:26 AM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Re: CS>Dumb question

The only way I can find for carbon to enter into a reaction with silver is in
conjunction with nitrogen, which is also present
dissolved in water exposed to air.  In that case you have the elements
necessary to make silver cyanide ( AgCN ) and with oxygen
silver cyanate ( AgCNO ).  Silver cyanide is virtually insoluable in water
(0.23 ppm), so if any is made it would be in the gunk.

I have no experimental data to determine if this reaction can even happen in a
typical setup, this is data from the CRC handbook.

Marshall