If the jar isn't over 8-9 inches tall, the stirrer will work OK.  Over that
and you start to get thermal stratification layers.
It's actually faster and better to make 4 one quart batches and use part of
the previous batch to buffer the next in order to reduce or even eliminate
the time variable at the beginning.
Very large batches spend so much time at the higher concentrations that
anything that can happen, will happen sometime during that period

Ode