My answers below...

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:37 AM, An'tny R. <t_rux...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2016, at 1:10 PM, Victor Cozzetto wrote:
>
> > I use the Silverpuppy, and have about ten other units with friends and
> > family.
>
> Other brands, or just 10 other Silverpuppy's?

All Silverpuppies. But I have used two from Sota Instruments, which also
work fine, although are not as convenient as the Silverpuppy. I still own
my Sota device, but never use it for CS anymore.

> > Been using them for many years with no trouble at all.
>
> How old is your oldest and how much do you use it/them?

Can't remember exactly, but at least five years old. Usually use it every
day, and sometimes run it 2 or 3 times a day when making CS for others.

> > My favorite device. Great CS, cheap, reliable, and super easy to use.
>
> Sounds great! :) What other units have you used?

Sota Instruments, homemade devices.

> > I highly
> > recommend using a thermal stirrer with it, which you can buy on the
> > site.
> >
> > The thermal stirrer (basically just a light bulb) provides more
> > consistent timing for your CS (because it keeps it a little warm),
>
> What's it use for power?

It plugs into the wall. I made a few of my own thermal stirrers too, which
is just a 15w bulb in a box. But honestly, it is worth it to just buy it,
unless you enjoy building such things.

> I thought heating it while making it was bad, something about larger
> particles form.

It is just luke warm. You definitely do not want to make it hot, so if you
build your own, or replace the bulb, do not get a larger wattage.

> How do you mean by "more consistent timing", less fluctuation in how
> long each batch does or doesn't take to run of the same size?

As Ode mentioned, timings will always vary, but temperature control is the
biggest factor, and the thermal stirrer reduces the impact of your
environment's temperature.

> > and most importantly, it helps keeps your silver rods clean (because
> > it makes the water circulate).
>
> Doesn't the polarity switching do this on an atomic (or is it ionic)
> level?

Yes, the polarity switching keeps the rods clean, but it works much much
better if you have the stirrer. I never have to clean my rods at all,
unless I get a really bad batch of water or some other contamination. As of
this writing I don't think I have cleaned my rods in two months, and they
look pristine (basically, the silver rods look kind of white).

> > This is extremely important if you live in a cold place, or the room
> > temperature gets cold over night, as the CS takes a lot longer to
> > make if the water gets cold. I always use a thermal stirrer.
>
> Interesting, yes, my house can get very cold at night, even right now
> in the summer time it gets down to about 50 deg. then CRAZY HOT during
> the day outside, inside about 74-80F. If the stove poops out in the
> winter, it can drop down a lot too, but we're so well insulated it
> doesn't freeze even in the worst case scenario.
>
> > I make about 750ml in about 6 hours, but I do not usually time it,
> > since I simply run it over night and/or during the day. Use it with
> > the auto-shutoff and swap features.
>
> How long does it take if you don't use the thermal stirrer and is that
> in a cold room where the water will get cold without it?

I have run it for 14 hours over a cold winter night without finishing, and
again, it really depends exactly how cold it is. In the same environment,
the thermal stirrer cut that time to 8 hours.

I'll tell you a funny story... one woman that lives in the country side in
Japan... in the mountains... where they do not use heat at night, so the
house gets below freezing. Her CS would freeze if she tried to store it, so
I told her to just keep it in the jar on the stirrer. I think I put a 25w
bulb in that stirrer. It worked. So, no matter what the conditions, you can
still make CS. And btw, that woman saw a dramatic improvement in her
diabetes from the CS, and still uses it.