I'm thinking that depending on how the generator is constructed, perhaps steel wires of the the appropriate gauge might be substituted for the silver ones, and alligator clips could be attached to them to grasp the coins.

I'd try it myself, but I don't want to waste a couple of gold coins for an experiment.

Small ones would work but the process would likely take longer due to their smaller surface area.