Abscesses generally start with junk getting into a pocket in the gum,
opening it up to bacteria and irritating the gum and they often bleed.
The bodys response to the bacterial infection and irritation is trying to
get that junk out or at least isolate it by surrounding it with pus.
EIS in a water-pic flushes out the junk and interfaces with tubules in the
dentin and blood supply.

Just swishing EIS helps, but doesn't quite get the job done.