Neville, I'm in your same boat and wondered if the water boiled, just
because I've been clueless about what 'ultrasonic' means.  Following is the
explanation I got from Ode, four days ago:

Not heated, but excited by very high frequency sound carried by the
distilled water surrounding the cup so that the silver doesn't contact the
ultrasonic transducer and pack silver into it via sound wave compression.

..which is really hard to clean out if it happens.
Ultrasonic Humidifiers work the same way and make MASSIVE clouds of
mist...but get clogged up after a while.

 Those sound waves will excite body parts too...stick a little finger in
bowl of water with an  Ultrasonic pond fogger in it....and  it REALLY
HURTS.  ...makes the *bones *vibrate and feel HOT... OUCH!  [ Ultrasonic
Dental Scaler on small teeth..same thing ]