Herpes hides dormant in the nerves where silver can't get to it, but low
daily doses kills it when it hits the blood stream where it can cause an
out break.
Like malaria, it has to hit the blood stream now and then to complete its
reproductive life cycle.

Cold sores are a form of herpes and silver  applied to an emerging sore
prevents it from emerging.
 Doing that faithfully, often times one no longer gets cold sores after a
while.
 Could be that the lesion itself is part of the reproduction cycle.