Hey Amelia,
I'm sorry to tell you that the FAQ I was referring to is one I am compiling
about uses for CS.
Now if only someone would do the same for all the little questions about
making CS!!!!!
If you ask again, maybe Mike will post the other FAQ which refers you to
some articles which might be helpful, but doesn't address any issues itself.
Take care,
Katarina

PS. As far as I can tell it is not that easy to determine the strength of
your CS at home - althoug some of the more technically minded seem to be
cooking up some possibilities which I don't fully understand yet. Follow
allong and you'll see. For now the best way is to standardize your process,
and then you can send samples to be tested. Fred Peschel from this list very
kindly offers that service for free - if you do a search on the archives you
can probably find the information on how to send to him -- I don't know
where I have it.
One final thing though is that no-one really knows what criterion makes CS
most effective -- ie: whether particle size or ppm are more important. You
can tell if you've got a lot of particles in your solution if you shine a
pocketsize laser pointer through it and see a good strong tyndall beam --
but if the particles are small enough you might have a lot of them and not
have them show because they are too small. And some of us think smaller is
probably a lot more effective -- but it's all quite complicated.

Good luck,
Katarina