  De : Michael Leavitt
  À : silver-list@eskimo.com
  Envoyé : 29 mars, 2000 21:10
  Objet : Re: CS>Weak CS

  Hi Gaston,
  My setup usually starts at about 0.23ma and builds to about 1.25ma as the ppm
increases. I also use a 30vdc regulated power supply and reduce the voltage to
control current when it finally gets to the setpoint.  With the low current
being used I usually cannot see much tyndall effect during the cooking of a
batch and sometimes it may take 24 hours to see much, even using a pocket
laser.  It sounds like you may be confusing the cloud that appears around the
electrodes with the real tyndall effect which is similar to seeing your
headlights in a foggy night.  Good CS made with low voltage DC doesn't always
show a good tyndall right away, at least the gang around here doesn't always
get it.
  It takes about 45-60 minutes to make a batch of 16oz water at 5ppm, longer to
reach 10ppm.  The only time I have seen 15 minute batch's is when sea salt was
added to the batch and they were using 3 batteries so the current was not
regulated like you are doing.
  Keep doing it at the low current and be patient, good things come to people
who are patient.  60-75 minutes is not long to wait for good CS.
  Bless you
  Mike

  "G. Boucher" wrote:

    to all CSers: I am new and have tried to produce good CSaround 10PPM and I
have difficulty in obtaining it. Using a 30VDC power supply (regulated
current)Set to 0.8MA (cannot set to 0.8MA at the start dueto the high
resistance of the water). Even with heatedwater the current starts at around
0.3 - 0.4MA.Also using a 16 oz. jar with 4 1/2 inches electrodes# 14 silver
wire.Distilled water measured less than 1PPM. Then it takes approx. 10 - 15
minutes before anyTyndall effect can be seen. The best I can get is 5PPM (and
it takes approx one hourto obtain this 5 PPM) then the Tyndall effect between
the electrodesseems to vanish. However, after this I can see a "light Tyndall
effect"at the bottom of each electrode, going straight down to the bottomof the
jar making a brown spot at the bottom.There is approx. 1 inch between the
bottom electrodes andthe jar. From then on the PPM does not increase...with
currentset to 0.8 MA. I am using a TDS-1 to measure the PPM. Note: I have
noticed much stronger Tyndall effect withhigher current, however, the results
was a yellow CSwhich I am trying to avoid. Again feedback from otherusers
appear to say that they do get clear CS withcurrent set to 0.8 MA. I must be
doing something wrong,  since feedbackfrom other users on the list, it takes
approx. 15 mins.to produce 5 PPM... Any suggestions or comments would be much
appreciated. Gaston