From:   Stephen Quinto [SMTP:squi...@mindspring.com]
Sent:   Saturday, April 08, 2000 3:01 PM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Re: CS>RE: Uggh. Grunt.  Me HVAC Brute have questions  [sound
of
knuckles dragging floor, followed by sound of electrons smashing helpless
silver in the face centered crystial]

First of all, James (and take note Marshall),
I don't believe that 'stuff' about putting "a strong charge on the ion as
it leaves the anode".  The ion will have the maximum charge it will absorb
in the act of being separated from the electrode whether it is separated by
high or low voltage.  In fact it is current that does so.  Excessive
current seems to mechanically leverage the separation of particles, over
and above the electro-chemical act involved.
And the velocity of charged particles in [pure] water is logically constant
given the argument above.  Just as it would be altered [upward] by an
electrolytic solution (other than by the conductivity of charged ions
increasingly present in the sol.
And further, the presence of excess Oxygen and Hydrogen -  result of the
electro-chemical process - makes for the opportunistic formation of oxides
and hydroxides, however fleeting, all of which are insoluble and
undesirable.
I've taken respectful note of the micro-amperages employed in some of the
postings here - quantifications that are the result of intelligent
experimentation and the success that results.  Such efforts undoubtedly
increase quality exponentially.
As for aggregation, that phenomenon can only take place in the presence of
neutral {or elemental) silver.  Mind you such particles are still a
colloid; thy just lack the magic that fascinates and tantalizes everyone
here.
It is true that there is not much oxidation or 'sludge' as Marshall puts
it, but there are large amounts of clumpy material and large
irregular-shaped particles.
Now....  to answer your questions point by point:
1.      By TEM, and, yes, I will put the images up on our web site when they're
developed.  As for the source of the material it would be unethical of me
to name it and I won't.
But it was sold as 10-12 ppm (and tested within that parameter)  -- BTW our
production tolerances are 1.5
JOH:  That is exceptionally fine process control.
2.      I didn't take complete notes since I made two exposures (photographs).
So I cannot quantify here but will be able to do so once the micrographs
are developed (during the coming week).
3. See 2. above  and...   It appears that the particle size of a
near-perfect colloid probably ranges, in some presently unknown mathemat
ical formula I hypothesized about last night, from a very small complex of
?atoms (size of which is 3 or 4 Angstroms) to a larger one (say 30 or 40
Angstroms).  They are NOT dissolved or vaporized-as is a solution or gas,
in no way the colloid we have been discussing here.
JOH:   Is this the HVAC material?  Am I correct in translating 30 Angstroms
into 3 point zero [3.0] nM?  If so, that is some of the smallest HVAC Ag
sol I have heard of.  It is frequently in the 0.5 to 10  nM range.

4. There appears to be a subtly regular for to these clusters of similarly
charged ions, and in concentrated visualizations of them they appear to
accomodate the shapes of those that are closest to them (the poetry I spoke
of, where all are connected even by the shape of space between them
[Seattle?])  When most dispersed they appear almost round.

JOH:  This would indicate that the shape changes in relation to forces
interacting with adjacent  particles.

The distorted shapes are like amoebas reproducing or mutants, unnaturally
distended and polyform, ie. lacking symmetry.
5.      Our biological work is the result of an only recently installed
capability.  In the first set of experiments, we  undertook certain
inhibition experiments, comparing a number of products.  We will decide
when an where we will try to publish the results.  It has been an exciting
new dimension for us.  And edifying!

Stephen