Hello Jhon,

Following is the instruction sheet we ship with each PWT meter.  Perhaps the
issue will be more clear now.  Perhaps others will argue the point.  In any
case, it is not really clear which methods are the best to measure the PPM
of CS.  However, the PWT meter gives the closest consistent readings we have
seen at an affordable price.  It is a good tool to show consistency of CS
batch to batch, etc.

"Instructions on use of the PWT meter

The PWT meter is designed to measure purity of water.  That is, it measures
conductivity of water.  This is
measured in micro siemens which is abbreviated µS.

When you insert the meter into your distilled water, it will read the
conductivity and if the reading is less
than 2.0 to 3.0 µS the water is suitable for use in making CS.  This means
it has very little mineralization.
Minerals can combine with silver in the process to form silver compounds
rather than colloidal silver.  We
recommend using only steam distilled water to make CS.

Measure the uS of your water before making CS.  Make note of the value.
Once you have checked your
water and made your CS, insert the PWT into the CS.  It will read directly
in PPM minus the reading of
the water previously recorded.  We had several samples of our CS analyzed by
two different laboratories
using the atomic absorption method and tests at one of the labs was done two
different ways on each
sample.  In the first case, the CS was tested without benefit of "digestion"
.  That means the CS water
samples were analyzed by the machine without anything being done to the
samples.  Then the second set
of samples were digested and the tests were run again.  Digestion means to
take the CS and combine it
with nitric acid or aqua regia (nitric and hydrochloric acids) in order to
completely dissolve the silver in
the dispersion.  This was to done to assure that all the silver is in a
state which can be seen by the testing
machine.  The CS acid combination is boiled to dryness.  Then enough
distilled water is added to bring the
liquid volume back up the original quantity.  The silver is now a dissolved
salt and is in solution.

In the first test, readings from undigested CS were made of part of the same
set of samples which were
subjected to digestion.  The PPM reading of these samples read at about 55%
of the digested samples.

So, if you read CS with your tester its reading will correspond quite
closely to samples which were
digested; or will read about 45% higher than samples which were not
digested.  We believe the digested
samples more closely reflect what the real PPM is.  Therefore we suggest you
use the PWT reading as the
true value of your CS PPM.   Or, you may use the more conservative figure of
55% of the reading for
your CS value.

Initial readings will be higher than after a waiting period for the
particles to evenly disburse throughout the
water.  Best results are obtained when you wait 24 hours for the CS to
stabilize.

Your PWT meter is guaranteed by the factory for a period of 1 year.  If you
have any problems with the
unit, package it so it is protected from damage and ship it to Hanna
Instruments along with a copy of your
invoice from us.

When calibrating your PWT, let the calibrating solution reach room
temperature.  The PWT has a
temperature probe to adjust for different temperatures but it will "hunt" if
the calibrating solution is
changing temperature such as being brought in from a different environment."

I hope the issue is a bit more clear now.

Trem
www.silvergen.com
Constant Current Colloid Generators