In a message dated 6/16/00 1:27:12 PM EST, mdud...@execonn.com writes:

<< Any salt will act as a buffer.  Trace salts from one's skin, salts of
silver if
 any are present.  Any salts that might have arrived in the distilled water
(most
 likely sodium chloride, calcium chloride and potassium chloride).  Any salts
that
 might have come from the leaching of silicon and potassium from the glass.

 Marshall

Marshall:

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I don't onderstand how NaCl or KCl can act as
buffers especially if they're in the PPM range. As far as CaCl2 is concerned,
are we talking about the reaction,

(Ca++) +  2H2O ------> Ca(OH)2  + 2H+ ??

If that's the case, then we have to look at the solubility product of Ca(OH)2
and at the PPM of calcium in the DW in order to determine if CaCl2 can buffer
the solution. Isn't that right?

Roger