Magnetic resonance uses a fast rise time magnetic pulse to kick all the
molecules which then ring at their own characteristic frequency in a strong
DC magnetic field.

It is like plucking the string of a guitar.  The fast rise time is the
pluck, the string tension is the DC magnetic field, and the system then
analyses the note that comes back and where it came from.

Marshall