While bragging to a physician about the seemingly miraculous difference in my wife's sinus condition after turning her over and dosing her with eye droppers full of CS, and blah blah, yaba da yaba... He stopped me and in a measured voice said: "Jeff, have you ever heard of argyria?"

Of course I hadn't, and he went on to warn me that my wife would soon be sporting a nice new blue/gray tinge to her cheeks to match her new hair style....AH AH AH AH

Clean sinues but blue skin? In panic, I went in search of further information on this terrible affliction. I had no luck at all doing a global search on the internet. (My spelling of the word never came close enough...) I finally went to a medical dictionary, and scanned down through the 'A''s until I came to something close. I lucked out, and the below clip was taken directly from that publication.....

http://www.MedicineNet.com/Script/Main/Art.asp?li=MNI&d=88&Artic leKey=9438

Argyria: Silver poisoning resulting in ashen gray discolored skin (and other tissues of the body). Due to long-term use of silver salts.

For example, a medical report related the case of a woman, now in her 50s, with discolored skin. At 11 she had been given nose drops of unknown composition for "allergies," her skin had turned gray, and at 15 a skin biopsy confirmed the presence of silver deposition. There had been silver in her nose drops. One time when she was in a hospital, the nurses were alarmed because they thought she had cyanosis (a dusky blue-gray color).

Suspensions of silver are currently available in some health food stores and pharmacies. These silver preparations are promoted as useful for AIDS, cancer, sore throat, meningitis, parasites, chronic fatigue, acne and other disorders.

Source: Bouts, BA: Argyria. New England Journal of Medicine 340:1554, 1999.

POSTSCRIPT: After clipping this, and armed with the correct spelling, I went back and re-searched the web. To my relief there were several hits, some of which refuted the premise of the above article.

I'm a newbie on this list, and if the topic has been dealt with, so-be- it. However, for the sake of any other rookies to CS, perhaps an old timer or two might take a few minutes to assuage my fears and tell me I'm not going to have to start singing the blues.....

Jeff from Modesto