In a message dated 09/18/2000 13:18:27 Central Daylight Time,
mdud...@execonn.com writes:

<<
 They thought putting leaches on people was helpful too.

Wellll, now, don't despise the lowly leeches.  They were as helpful at one
time in the absense of modern modalities as puking 'em and purging 'em.
Leeches inject a substance called heparin (a natural blood thinner) which is
still used in medicine.  In medical folklore common cures  derived from
natural sources.  In the forties lipstick dye was still made from cochineal
or bugs' blood.
    That's not saying I want a bunch of creepy critter parasites crawling
around inside me.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.