  From: BILL D
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 7:13 PM
  Subject: CS>BANZAI BARRETT

   by Tim Bolen
  Everyone in the American Health movement knows about the legal
  troubles (the Indiana case) dumped on Hulda Regehr Clark - and
  the outcome. What many don't know is that there is, and was, a
  plot to cause her these problems - and that there is one specific
  individual, a kingpin, an aging propagandist, behind it all. His
  name is Stephen Barrett, and he is a de-licensed MD, operating
  out of his basement in Allentown, PA. Barrett is now, and has
  been, conducting a "wild-eyed" onslaught against world health
  humanitarian Hulda Regehr Clark. PhD, ND.
  Early in 1999, Barrett ordered his minions, including his
  personal attorney Christopher Grell, to mount an all-out,
  anything goes, attack against Clark.
  Clark's books had been selling well, far better than Barrett's
  books.
  With big promises of financial reward, Barrett had advertised on
  his website (quackwatch.com) for, and found, a female plaintiff
  to claim that Clark had somehow damaged her at Clark's research
  clinic in Mexico - a bogus lawsuit against Clark and twenty one
  other defendants.
  Barrett's attack against Clark didn't stop with just that bogus
  lawsuit. Barrett goes far further than that. He mounted an
  all-out attack, one that if Clark supporters hadn't been prepared
  for, might have worked.

  THE EVIL ASSAULT AGAINST CLARK.
  (1). Apparently, in early 1999, Barrett ordered attorney Grell
  to file criminal charges against Clark with the Federal Bureau of
  Investigation in San Diego. The FBI declined to investigate
  (they had better things to do), but did run an NCIC check which,
  we all know, ended up in Clark's arrest on seven year old
  charges, which were later dropped, in Indiana.
  (2). During the case activity, Barrett sent an emotionally
  disturbed man, who blames Clark for his mother's death of cancer,
  to a Clark rally for the express purpose of disrupting it. The
  man claims that although his mother never did Clark's protocol
  (he wouldn't let her), that somehow Clark is still responsible
  for his mother's death. Barrett, who has had Psychiatric
  training (although never Board Certified), was well aware that
  this man had said in public "I don't know what I'd do if I ever
  met Clark." Barrett sent him anyway, and did not notify police
  of the potential danger to Clark, and her supporters.
  Fortunately, Clark supporters, monitoring Barrett's chat group
  (healthfraud.ssr), intercepted the discussion, and alerted
  authorities. The man was ordered off the property, and Clark was
  kept safe.
  (3). Barrett's heir apparent to the "quackbuster" throne is, I
  believe, Terry Polevoy, MD, a "pimple doctor" in Canada. Polevoy
  is now, and has been, under investigation by Canadian authorities
  for a number of reasons. According to the Canadian press,
  Polevoy entered Canada as a draft dodger from the United States.
  Polevoy stalked Canadian Radio personality Christine McPhee for
  months, and other females for shorter periods of time. Polevoy
  may have ceased his clandestine following of McPhee, and others,
  after police raided his home late one night, questioning his
  activities. Canadian medical authorities are investigating
  allegations of mental instability and professional misconduct
  against Polevoy. Polevoy could lose his medical license.
  Polevoy operates a "hate" website where he specializes in attacks
  against leading-edge health professionals that spurn the heavy
  prescribing of dangerous drugs. Polevoy conducted such a
  virulent attack against Clark in Canada that Clark Supporters
  felt it necessary to put an armed cordon around Clark when she
  was the guest speaker in Toronto. Toronto police were standing
  by to assist. Polevoy's website was turned off by his original
  provider, but he has since found space for his virulence from
  another fringe group..
  (4). Barrett conducts an internet campaign to disrupt Clark's
  activities and her support network. (a) Barrett has set up a
  system whereby when someone "searches" for Clark information on
  the internet, they are sent to a series of websites, including
  his own and Polevoy's, where virulent dis-information is thrust
  at the reader as authoritative. The websites are run by a house
  painter in Ohio, a 22-year old veterinary student (who works with
  Polevoy) in Canada, an unemployed computer consultant (whose wife
  supports him) in Australia - not by anyone with credentials. (b)
  Barrett minions have infiltrated and disrupted the Clark
  discussion groups. Several of Barrett's hate-mongers have
  infiltrated the drcl...@egroups list and verbally truncheon Clark
  supporters and those interested in information on Clark's
  protocols. (c) Barrett threatens lawsuits against anyone who
  tells Clark supporters the truth about Barrett's activities. (d)
  Barrett is making false statements, and providing
  mis-information, to internet service providers in attempts to
  damage the Clark network. (e) and more...

  BARRETT - GRELL, THE UNHOLY ALLIANCE...
  San Francisco based lawyer Christopher Grell is Stephen Barrett's
  personal attorney, and has represented him, AND LOST, in at least
  two cases we know of. Grell has a record of absurdly filed
  lawsuits, which he spends a lot of time on. He causes the
  opposition to spend a lot of time (and money) on these cases, and
  then he loses - and then loses on appeal.
  I believe that Barrett and his minions, including Grell, have
  conspired to intentionally abuse our court system to "stalk"
  Hulda Regehr Clark for the express purpose of stopping, or
  slowing, the research she has devoted her life to. I believe
  Barrett and his minions know that Clark's protocols have helped
  thousands of people - and for that reason they want them stopped.
  I believe that Barrett, and his henchmen, want the protocols
  stopped knowing that such an action would cause the suffering and
  deaths of millions of people worldwide - and they don't care.
  I have reason to believe that Christopher Grell is a legal
  "stalker-for-hire." I believe that Stephen Barrett, directly,
  or once-removed, is a "wild-eyed" vexatious litigant, and is the
  "real litigant" behind Figuero vs. Clark. In California there is
  law forbidding "vexatious litigants," those that use the courts
  to harass, and stalk, people they do not like, or do not agree
  with.
  I have reason to believe, Barrett, and hence Grell, are working
  directly for, and indirectly for, and are being paid directly,
  and indirectly, by the sleaziest of the drug lords.

  BARRETT HAS THREATENED TO SUE ME...
  Stephen Barrett has threatened to sue me several times over my
  opinions about his activities, but has failed to do so. I
  believe he knows that I would use the opportunity to sieze his
  records with a court order, and I'd be in his basement lair with
  my research team, and their microscopes, before he could bellow
  "Heil Hitler" four times in a row.
  Stephen Barrett is scared to death of me - and he should be - for
  if I get access to his records, I'll turn over everything I find
  interesting to a Federal Grand Jury investigation, and write a
  book about it...

  THE PUBLIC NEEDS TO KNOW...
  The public needs to know "Who exactly is paying Christopher Grell
  's legal fees?" In the Clark case alone (two years of
  litigation against 22 defendants), it looks like Grell was able
  to amass billing hours somewhere between $700,000 to 1.2 million
  dollars. As far as I know the Figueroas don't have this kind of
  money, and I doubt that Stephen Barrett is sending him personal
  checks. So where is the money coming from?
  Specifically, who, EXACTLY, is PAYING Grell to harass Clark?
  Barrett makes claim to be an "expert in quackery." He, and his
  minions, have named Hulda Clark as a "quack." Barrett's "lack of
  expertise" was exposed last year in a court case in New York
  state, when it was discovered, in the courtroom, that Barrett
  mis-represents his credentials, claiming he is "a retired
  Psychiatrist." Barrett was forced to admit, under oath, that he,
  in fact, had never been Board Certified, in any State, or
  anywhere in the world, as a Psychiatrist.
  Barrett's publicized Curriculum Vitae seems to indicate that he,
  for whatever reason, was unable to hold a job for any length of
  time, over the ENTIRE LENGTH of his career.
  The government of New Zealand, in a scathing report, OFFICIALLY
  declared the writings of Stephen Barrett as "propaganda, and of
  no evidentiary value."

  THE NEW MEMBER OF CLARK'S LEGAL TEAM...
  Carlos F. Negrete is a well known California based Civil attorney
  who takes on, and WINS, high profile cases. Among his many
  experiences, he has successfully fought HMOs for their refusal to
  treat patients. He is a known advocate of patients' rights.
  After analyzing the Clark case Negrete says "This is a very
  suspicious case. It looks to me that there is a hidden agenda
  here, that has nothing to do with the original filing of the
  case. For good cause, we are demanding that Plaintiff's
  attorney immediately produce evidence backing their doubtful
  claims - and produce the Plaintiffs for deposition, which we will
  video tape. Up to now, although the Plaintiff's attorney has
  made grandiose claims, he has failed to come forward with any
  meaningful evidence. Shockingly, the Plaintiff's attorney has
  failed to produce one single piece of medical documentation to
  support ANY of his client's dubious claims. More importantly,
  the Plaintiffs have not "legally verified" any of the answers to
  our questions. And, attorney Grell is refusing to produce the
  Plaintiffs for deposition. I'm beginning to wonder if there
  really is a Plaintiff, at all, or whether Grell has made them up
  out of whole cloth."

  Negrete also says "Dr. Clark will not be intimidated into
  stopping the research that she has devoted her life to, for the
  benefit of millions of people. We intend to vigorously fight
  these specious, unsupported, and irresponsible claims. Dr. Clark
  does not intend to cower away from mean spirited attacks on her
  reputation. We strongly believe that Dr. Clark will ultimately
  prevail in the lawsuit and be vindicated."
  Barrett isn't going to like Negrete, one bit...

  THE FACTS OF THE CASE...
  Christopher Grell sued twenty-two defendants in the Figueroa vs.
  Clark case. In almost two years he has made no effort to
  subpoena more than half of those. Some of those named in the
  suit as co-defendants with Dr. Clark, the Clark team has never
  heard of, and it is not explained in the suit what their
  relationship might be. One of the defendants named does not
  exist at all, and never has. Another defendant wasn't even
  around during the time of the supposed incident.
  It is not known whether Barrett's lawyer, Christopher Grell, did
  shoddy preparation for the Figuero lawsuit, or whether his
  actions were intentional. There are facts about Grell and
  Barrett which point in either, and both, directions. Shoddy
  preparation and inadequate legal activities can be a tactic to
  exhaust the opposition's legal funds.
  Grell can't, or won't, produce the so-called Plaintiffs, Esther
  and Jose Figueroa. The Plaintiffs don't appear to have any part
  in the case. And it looks like they are not, themselves,
  answering the court-ordered legal "interrogatories" and demands
  for information. It may be that Grell/Barrett are keeping the
  Figueroas themselves in the dark, for their own reasons, or to
  further their own agenda.
  Meanwhile, Stephen Barrett's minions announce the so-called
  Figueroa "complaints" in the case all over the internet as though
  they were true.
  Hmmmm?....

  Tim Bolen
  JuriMed - Public Relations and Research Group
  juri...@yahoo.com