> 10 years ago I had a 12 ft  x 28 ft hydroponium
> and
> everything grew in course sand. I had beautiful veggies. I made all
> of my
> nuetrant solutions from chemicals. Never gave thought to bacteria.

Bacterial process is important for *creating* natural fertilizer.  My
friend composts his own, and his produce from regular hierloom, seeds is
unbelievable--5 lb. oranges, 50 lb. radishes, etc.  He's a purist and a
full-timer, but very "fruitful."

I bought an EarthBox (earthbox.com) to back-engineer.  It provides
maximal water conservation and automatic application of granular,
chemical fertilizer.  I'd just like to be convinced that this methodology
were conscientious.

I've no doubt your veggies were "beautiful"...so is everything in
Safeway.  Commercial agricultural soil is dead, so factory farms are
inferior, albeit large-scale versions of your hydroponium.

Plants can, of course, utilize chemical fertilizer, but it kills SBO's
("soil based organisms," scavengers that would otherwise keep human
digestive tracts residue-free) and earthoworms, and poisons ground water.
 With proper cultivation and no chemical insult, living soil yields
plants too sweet for pests to attack.  But dead soil yields crops that
require pesticides for their weakened immune systems, which exacerbates
the cycle.  Hydroponic waste water is a notorious pollutant (except where
organic fertilizers like seaweed & bat guano are used, but they're not
chemical, and not usually sufficient alone).

We might not always have access to chemical alternatives, and my friend
has demonstrated that live fertilizer is superlative, but laborious.  A
1999 report verified the superiority of organic produce in manifild
nutritional categories.  Can you suggest a resolution to this dilemma?
(I've always wanted to test the efficacy of "humanure" composting using
English redworm ["manure worm"] vermiculture...)

--Russ