Someone once asked, "How do you like your HMO?", to which I replied, "Compared
to what?", since I wasn't enthralled at all by their policies and annual
increases in co-payments.  Then this just came in from England as an "attitude
adjuster"!  I like my HMO a lot better now.  Robert

"* Op waiting times 'will be cut'

Patients have been promised that waiting times for operations will be
slashed as the Government announced inflation-busting increases for
the NHS. Health authorities are to get an average increase of 8.5 per
cent from April next year, amounting to around £29million more each.

Health Secretary Alan Milburn said the maximum wait for treatment
would be cut from 18 months to 15 months by spring 2002. And within a
year men with testicular cancer, children with cancer, and leukaemia
sufferers will be treated inside a month.

Mr Milburn said: "These new maximum waiting times are still too long,
but they represent the first instalment of real progress."

Source: Staff reporter Useful link: http://www.nhs.50.nhs.uk/

* Hospitals in firing line

The government is to send in a "hit squad" to one of the UK's leading
heart hospitals following a highly critical report. Health minister
John Denham described the Oxford Heart Centre at the John Radcliffe
Hospital as "dysfunctional".     The report will blame management
failings for both poor standards of care and lack of supervision of
inexperienced doctors. The Commission for Health Improvement, a
government watchdog set up to monitor standards in NHS hospitals, will
be sent to Oxford to supervise improvement measures.

In addition, the CHI has published a hard-hitting report into "serious
service failures" at North Lakeland NHS Trust in Cumbria and
Carmarthenshire NHS Trust in Llanelli.

Source: Press release Useful link: http://www.open.gov.uk/doh/nhs.htm