As I get the story on tomatoes, they were not eaten because the color red
was associated with the devil, similarities to nightshade...used in Druid?
rituals and by 'witches' in thier flying ointments.  I do believe that love
apples, May apples and passion flower fruit are the same things and are not
poisonous as many think. I recall perhaps that Passion flower is the
natural source for valeric acids ie valium.
 Ken