There are some REAL mean script viruses out there these days that embed in
HTML...

Everyone's best bet is to go to Microsoft's website and get the numerous
patches that are available.  People with dial-up modems are especially at
risk for a very unique virus embedded on some linked auto pop-up websites
that 1) drop a script into your /windows/ directory, 2) execute this script
which 3) disconnects you from the internet and 4) dials up to a foreign
country.  This script is often masked by an "infinite" number of websites
which pop up and cascade across your screen, keeping you distracted while
the real script is executing.  Theoretically, one can program a time-based
executable script that would wait until, say 3:00am when you are deep asleep
to dial out.  I think the initial idea behind the "infinite" pop-up windows
was to crash Norton and McAfee's auto-protect feature, lock up internet
explorer and force you to reboot the machine.

In fact, I don't think I've installed ANY of the patches on this new
machine!

When you install the internet explorer patch, the "virus" still drops into
your windows dir and it still tries to run, but the patch prevents the
script from actually executing.  The Outlook patch does the same thing.