I'd be interested in viewing such a photo...

Using a salt or saline solution primer also produces a milky white
substance...

----- Original Message -----
From: Frank Key <fr...@strsoft.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 6:57 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Tyndall yet clear

> Roger wrote:
>

> > Frank: How do you explain the milky appearance for very small particles,
or
> > very large ones, for that matter, if, as Marshall says, light from the
> > visible part of the spectrum of not adsorbed in either case? Roger
>
> For very small particles, the absorbed light is way below UV and the
complement is also way below UV, so no coloration is apparent. Since a high
concentration of particles will absorb light to some extent across the
entire visible spectrum without causing coloration, the solution then
appears as a white milky solution.

> If anyone is really interested I will take a photo of such a solution and
post it on my web site. I routinely make 5 to 10 ppm all particles in the
10-30 nm range. These all appear white and milky.