List: I thought some of you might be interested in one example of how Pharm
Inc. begins to influence the medical profession's objectivity, even BEFORE
they become licensed practitioners. Roger

"Regarding an earlier enquiry about med school handouts related to
corporate public relations...

I asked a few current UBC med students if they could think of some
specific examples (as opposed to 'we get stuff all the time, but I
can't think of who or what right now), and in the past month the
following were brought to my attention (and are therefore an
incomplete list).

1. Welch Allen handed out mugs (no big deal), and has paid for some
students' books from their 'book fund'.

2. All students get an annual subscription to CMAJ paid for by MD
Management, which is an asset management company that specializes in
doctors' financial portfolios and businesses &c. MD Management also
paid for the drinks (alcohol) at Skits Night.

3. Every couple of weeks there is a 'lunch' for residents held at
some of the hospitals in the Lower Mainland. Residents attend a
legitemate medical lecture, which is sponsored by some company, who
also pays for the food. Usually, the lecture subject is relevant to a
product the company sells, and sometimes the sponsoring company has a
product pitch by a rep at the end of the lecture. For example, last
month Mead Johnson pitched their baby formula at the end of a
paediatric nutrition lecture. The lectures would probably take place
without sponsorship.

4. Abott gave away 60 glucometers to 4th years last month. These are
the 'expensive ones' that even measure ketones. I can't estimate the
retail value until I see the actual model.

More vaguely, the perception is that students only have to ask for
something reasonable and it's theirs. So, the fact that most UBC
student functions are unsponsored (covered by the ticket sales) is an
indication that the students are aware that the sponsorships are an
ethical disaster. They routinely turn down sponsorship offers for
events such as the Medicine Ball, or for their sports teams' travel
and uniforms.

-Graeme."