I belive that CS is formed by the super saturated solution near the anode, but
the
growing particles diffuse out of the saturated volume before growing too large.
Stirring moves these newly formed particles out of the super saturated volume
before they have grown as much as if you are not stirring, thus stirring makes
smaller particles.

Also as the concentration of silver increases toward saturation, the particles
that have been formed continue to grow, thus making the colloid go from clear to
yellow and to other colors if production is continued.

I believe this process is very much like that of tempering metal.  The super
saturaton occuring for particles for a short period of time results in smaller
particles (crystals), but if you do it slowly, either by not stirring, or by
supersaturating the entire CS, or by cooling slowly, then the crystals will be
fewer and much larger.

If this theory is correct, then I believe that one can produce small particles
by
cooling, the trick is to cool rapidly, in that case many small particles should
form, and have insufficient time to grow to be big particles.

I belive that the reason that my HVAC produces 20% particles, where as most LVDC
produces much lower particle content is due to this.  My electrodes are 14
guage,
and are only about 1/10 inch exposed in the water.  The current is quite high,
about 100 mA.  This creates a supersaturated volume of silver ions near the
electrode.  The amount of power introduced near the electrode is very high, and
this results in high convection currents, as well as quite high temperature of
the
immediate water.  As the ions move away from the electrode, it cools immediately
to about 100 F (new water is feed in at 32F).  This forces the ions to quickly
form small particles, but before they can grow to be large, they have moved into
the cooler more diluted volume, and are shorly flushed from the reactor vessel
completely.

Marshall