Important information on loss of privacy on your bank account.

     Because of the importance of this information, and
because of the time-sensitive nature of this information, I
have removed the copyright for this issue.  Forward it to
anyone you think will be affected -- which means just about
everyone you know!

YOU JUST LOST YOUR BANKING PRIVACY.  NOW GET IT BACK.

     On July 1, a new law went into effect, the Financial
Modernization Act.  It allows banks and all other U.S.
financial institutions to share information with each other
regarding their clients, i.e., us.  They will be able to
sell this information -- a multi-billion dollar use of our
personal data.  Some modernization!

     If you do nothing, you lose your privacy.  It's
already gone.  The question is, will you take specific
steps to get it back?

     Here are the grim details.  Click through:

          www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs24-finpriv.htm

     At the end of the document, there are e-mail links for
letters of protest.  I suggest that you send a couple of
protests, as a matter of principle.

     Your financial institution is supposed to send
notification to you before they start selling your
information.  The letter will likely be written in
lawyerese -- unreadable, innocuous looking.  Here is what
to look for:

          www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs24a-optout.htm

     On June 21, ABC News did a report on this new law, and
on what a few bank account holders are doing to opt out of
the system.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/privacy_notices_010621.html

     There is a way for you to keep your bank from doing
this with your records, but it is not automatic.  You can
write a letter to your financial institutions denying them
the right to share or sell your personal financial
information without your permission.  It's an opt-out
system.

     I don't think many people will opt out.  First, they
have to know about the law.  They don't.  Second, they must
care enough to defend their privacy.  I don't think they
care.  Third, they must know what to say in their letters.
Fourth, they must take action immediately.  People tend to
procrastinate.

     I recommend the following as a sample opt-out letter.
I got it from this Web page:

      www.privacyrightnow.com/optout_form_letter.htm