G'mornin' group! It's morning here, anyway...

I get feedback about the way the list is run. It influences my
decisions regarding policy and sometimes alerts me to problems.

Once in a while there's a slap in the face. Like the message forwarded
to me by the list server when one person unsubscribed today:

>> You are now being unsubscribed from the silver-list.
>>
>> If this wasn't your intention or you are having problems getting
>> yourself unsubscribed, reply to this mail now, quoting it entirely,
>> for diagnostic purposes, and adding any comments you see fit.
>
> No, I fully intended to unsubscribe, because I am tired of reading
> bizarre messages about international UN black helicopter
> conspiracies that some of the members like to post. I am quite open
> to reading and discussing all kinds of CS-related topics and I have
> no problem with discussing other interesting therapies such as the
> Beck, Clark and Rife machines, but I draw the line at psycho
> hillbilly paranoid survivalist crap.
>
> Have a nice day.

Nice day, indeed! Hummpf. I thought we were doing pretty good lately.

As far as I recall this person never posted, so it may be more loss to
the writer than our group, really, but points up something to keep in
mind: You and I might agree that our money is fiat, the IRS a private
corporation, and the Demoncrats and Reprobates a front for little green
men from Alpha Centauri, etc., but many new people are really *not*
prepared to hear that sort of thing!

Only careful attention and restraint let us balance our *own* needs
against those of others, so that nonessential things don't drive
people away who may have a crucial need for our help. They'll learn
eventually, but in the meantime?

On the other hand, I receive much happier remarks as well!

>From a private e-mail:
> I find that I tend to be isolated from intelligent people in my life,
> and the silverlist provides me with contact with smarties... This
> provides an enriched life and I'm very grateful for the contact.
> Mostly I lurk, but though I've never met and probably never will meet
> these people in person, I feel closer to them than to my own family.

I echo the sentiment.

And there are the testimonials, which, when you boil it all down, are
the proof that we're doing something right...

Nancy wrote to the list:
> CS gave me back my life and I feel all of you are my friends.  I read
> most of the letters on the list and glean a great deal from each of
> you.  Keep up the good work!!!

Indeed, I feel a deep kinship with this kooky crowd of ours, and am
eternally grateful for the friendships I enjoy among you. I thank you
all for your help, consideration, and continued responsible conduct.

I guess, on balance, it's an okay day for feedback. <smile>

Be well,

Mike Devour
silver-list owne