According to "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" third edition, by James Balch, MD ...

"Selenium and vitamin E act synergistically to aid in the production of antibodies and to help maintain a healthy heart and liver. This trace element is needed for pancreatic function and tissue elasticity. When commbined with vitamin E and zinc, it may also provide relief from an enlarged prostate. Selenium supplementation has been found to protect the liver in people with alcoholic cirrhosis. Studies conducted at the University of Miami indicate that taking supplemental selenium may enhance the survival of people with AIDS by increasing both red and white blood cell counts. It has shown promise in the treatment of arthritis, cardiovascular disease, male infertility, cataracts, AIDS, and high blood pressure. Selenium deficiency has been linked to cancer and heart disease."

He cautions against taking more than 400mcg daily unless prescribed by a health care provider. "Symptoms of excessively high selenium levels can include arthritis, brittle nails, garlicky breath odor, GI disorders, hair loss, irritability, liver and kidney impairment, a metallic taste in the mouth, pallor, skin eruptions, tooth loss, and yellowish skin."

"Taking up to 200 mcg per day is considered safe for most people. However, you should not take more than 40 mcg of supplemental selenium daily if you are pregnant."

I take 200 mcg daily. I hesitate to take more because this supplement is measured in mcgs which, IMO, doesn't leave much room for error in the manufacturing. I have also read that our soils are now quite depleted of selenium, which leads me to believe that most people should be supplementing with this mineral.

Eleanor

We currently use a selenium supplement. I am wondering. Should we increase that supplement while taking CS? Should we start taking MSM as the author suggests? Am I concerned about nothing?

TIA

LTR  }}:{(
~~~~~~~
bullo...@nitline.com