Filing a patent and getting one is two different animals.  Anyone can put
a patent pending sticker on something that's not already 'known' to be
patented. It's a scare tactic and marketing hype that says, "don't bother
to copy this" and "we have something special".
 But it means nothing except that they are trying to figure out how to
patent it...maybe...and have dibs on the first crack at it...if it's possible.

 The patent office isn't very good at discernment either. A competing
company holds a patent on a product and used a very broad description that
includes any magnetic stripe input and information processing by CPU with
LCD readout.  Does every credit card reader manufacturer owe them homage?
No. Did they invent the process? No.
 If you have a computer, read a magnetic stripe and see the info on an LCD
monitor, you are using that patent.
 The patent is worthless, yet it was granted. Further, the company that
holds it knows it's worthless. If they sue for infringement, they will lose
both the case and the patent.
 Also note how many patents exist for perpetual motion machines and the
like that simply don't work.
Ken