National Candida Society - Endocrine Disorder Is Candida an Endocrine
Disorder?
Candida is usually thought to result from a weakness of the immune system
following antibiotic therapy. This may be true, but it may not be the whole
truth. If it isn't then any treatment based on it is unlikely to be
completely
successful in all patients. Our data indicates that whilst the majority of
sufferers do recover (occasionally relapsing at a later date) a minority
fail to
recover at all. Effective treatment requires satisfactory explanations of
underlying causes.

As long ago as the 1980s American physicians noted that their most
difficult-to-treat candida patients had endocrine systems that were not
working
properly, known as the APICH syndrome. As an unbalanced endocrine system may
play a role in all candida overgrowth, it is important to look carefully at
the
relationship between candida and the endocrine system. We begin with the
usual
description of the causes of candida.

What is candida?
'Candida' is the popular term for an overgrowth of candida - a condition
known
to medical doctors as 'intestinal candidiasis' when found in the intestines
or
'systemic candidiasis' when found elsewhere in the body. It was first
diagnosed
by American physicians in the 1970s.

When we are healthy, candida lives (in its yeast form) in our intestines
where
it competes with bacteria for room. Like bacteria, it is aerobic i.e. it
needs
oxygen to live. When we die, oxygenated blood stops coursing through our
bodies,
suffocating the bacteria. But candida (like all yeast) can survive without
oxygen by changing into its fungal, anaerobic form. It spreads rapidly into
the
area vacated by the dead bacteria, putting down roots into the walls of the
intestines, and sporing through the gut wall into the rest of the body.

Candida decomposes cell membranes, providing food for other microbes,
particularly the maggots which infest corpses. The Egyptians realised this
thousands of years ago. When they wanted to mummify a body they extracted
the
intestines as soon as possible after death, to stop the body rotting from
the
inside out, embalming the rest of the body with eucalyptus and other
anti-fungal
oils to kill any remaining candida and other microbes.

Sounds revolting, but a diagnosis of 'candida' means that this process has
started, whilst we are still alive. It doesn't mean that you are at death's
door. On the contrary candida rarely kills. But its presence in large
numbers
means that your immune system has an unremitting battle to keep it under
control
- a battle which takes a terrible toll on your health.

Common symptoms of candida
The damage to the intestinal wall allows toxins to enter the bloodstream.
This
condition called 'leaky gut syndrome' often leads to food allergies, foggy
brain, migraines and depression. Symptoms in the intestines include
diarrhoea or
constipation, bloatedness, flatulence and itchy anus. Once through to the
rest
of the body, the candida can live anywhere there are mucous membranes - it
particularly likes the vagina, lungs and the sinuses, providing food for
bacteria and viruses. It has an ability to disrupt the endocrine system
causing
symptoms such as weight gain or weight loss, PMS, menstrual irregularities,
joint pains, asthma, hayfever, muscle fatigue and chronic tiredness. Testing
usually reveals vitamin, mineral and enzyme deficiencies and low blood
sugar.
Thyroid tests often indicate that the thyroid is functioning normally, but
body
temperature is inexplicably low.

Some of the most obvious symptoms of candida overgrowth are thrush, cystitis
and
fungal infections of the nails or skin, such as athlete's foot. Local
medication
is not permanently successful. This list of symptoms is illustrative not
exhaustive.

Causes of candida - the traditional view
A decade ago books on candida were hard to come by - but now most bookshops
stock a good choice. We have a lot more information and a vast increase in
the
choice of supplements, as new anti-fungal properties of herbs are discovered
and
added to supplements. But we haven't made any progess in understanding why
candida has become so prevalent. Authors of recent publications seem to
agree
that the number one cause is overuse of broad spectrum antibiotics. Candida
then
overwhelms the immune system by producing toxins which repress
T-lymphocytes,
the main search-and-destroy cells in the immune system.

This is a far simpler account than that given by earlier writers (often
practising physicians) who cited a complex mix of contributory factors. GPs
have
difficulty accepting this simpler hypothesis. They know that antibiotics
cause
thrush in susceptible individuals, which they (wrongly) regard as little
more
than a temporary nuisance, restricted to the genitals and mouth. They don't
believe that a microscopic organism (which our bodies have accommodated for
thousands of years) can permanently overwhelm a healthy immune system to do
such
wide-spread damage.

It seems that we are in danger of talking up one possible hypothesis
(disregarding others) and unfortunately our chosen one alienates the medical
profession and provides poor guidance for the very people who need it most:
severe cases with complications, and those who relapse. It is time to take a
fresh look at the underlying causes of candida.

Who suffers from candida?
Females! Males do get it - see our last edition for a male member's story,
but
overwhelmingly it is a female condition. At least 60% of sufferers are
women;
20% are men; and 20% are boys and girls. If candida is caused primarily by
antibiotics, why is it predominantly a female condition? Do women swallow
more
antibiotics than men? Maybe they do, but anecdotal evidence suggests not -
women
avoid oral antibiotics because they know they will get vaginal thrush if
they
don't.

Considering the number of male teenagers who take antibiotics for acne and
the
children dosed with antibiotics for infections, shouldn't this ratio of
sufferers be more balanced? Perhaps this imbalance can give us a clue about
the
causes of candida. Some of our male members think that antibiotics caused
their
candida, but a significant number think otherwise. They cite:

* handling chemicals e.g. pharmaceutical workers, farmers
* dental mercury amalgam poisoning
* use of recreational drugs
* side-effects of medication, especially corticosteroids
* stress (usually as a contributory factor).

Causes in women?
Mandy Smith (then Bill Wyman's wife) was the first UK public person reported
in
the press to be suffering from candida, which was attributed to her
continuous
use of the contraceptive pill from puberty. In fact, it still seems likely
that
hormonal pills are the major factor in women developing candida. The factors
are:

* contraceptive pill or HRT including 'natural' progesterone cream
* other corticosteroids (hydrocortisone, beconase, prednisolone etc.)
* hormonal changes e.g. puberty, sexual maturity, pregnancy, sterilisation,
menopause including peri- and post-menopause
* broad-spectrum antibiotics
* dental mercury amalgam poisoning
* chemical poisoning in the home or office
* stress (usually as a contributory factor).

Causes in children?
Our evidence is too scanty to offer any definite conclusions, but we note
that
most of our young members (if not all) have had antibiotics and/or
corticosteroids.

What do these factors have in common?
They all disrupt the body's endocrine system, causing hormonal
abnormalities,
which can be aggravated by antibiotics, and even by candida.
What is the endocrine system?
The endocrine system is the regulatory system of the body. Whilst the immune
system is our defence system (an army), the endocrine system is our internal
policeforce, preventing local trouble from escalating and keeping everything
running smoothly.

How does the endocrine system work?
In simple terms, the endocrine system (part of the hormonal system) has a
number
of glands e.g. ovaries, testes, adrenals and thyroid all controlled by the
pituitary gland (the master gland) and the hypothalamus in the brain. Under
direction from the brain, each gland releases a chemical messenger (hormone)
into the blood stream, that circulates until it finds its target site - a
receptor specially-shaped for it on various organs. The hormone fits into
the
receptor and turns it on - like a key opening a lock. All of our organs
(including the brain) have receptors, and the arrival of the hormone
messenger
governs the activity of the organ, turning it up or down, on or off.
This is the basic mechanism for how most drugs work in the body, as drugs
are
made to mimic hormones. Quantities of all circulating hormones are
continuously
monitored and adjusted by the brain. It is a complex system because some
hormones have more than one function, and hormones work with or against each
one
other.