Julie & Critters,
        If a fuse is indeed the problem you may still be able to
measure current on the higher range.  The Fluke DMM's that I own
have two separate ranges and each is protected by a separate fuse.
The .630 mA fuse for the lowest scale and a 10 A fuse for the higher
current scale.  So it is not unusual for one range to function and
the other not.

Regards,
George Martin