The grey stuff is metallic silver which has plated out.
Both ionic and metallic colloids seem to have a similar effectiveness.
The black coating on the anode may be silver oxide or just silver
undergoing dissolution from the bulk metal.
No harm will be done by ingesting silver oxide (my opinion).

Ivan