The thing about developers is that they only reduce silver salts and
generally will not reduce these unless there are already reduced
silver particles present. So if the CS combines with something in the
coffee it might well be stealing the electron that the caffeine would
have used to reduced the silver salt to silver metal.

It could well be that the net result is no reaction or production of
silver salts.

Ivan