Here is a weird fact I just read in an interesting book about vision:
a specially made box created by a physicist is filled with light.
There is nothing in the box;  the sides are, from what I gather,
totally reflective.   If you look into the box,  you see darkness,
although it is filled with light.    This is because you can not see
light,  only the reflection of light from objects.   If this is true
(see Jabob Lieberman "TAke Off Your Glasses and See")  then the idea
that only particles produce color might be correct.   However,  isn't an
ion a thing?   It is a bit of an atom, right?   Therefore it may be that
ions CAN reflect light.   I am not a physicist and do not know.

JBB