Hi there Ted,

Trouble is, there is quite a difference between tap water which
carries high concentrations of dissolved solids already, and steam,
which is pure water looking for solids to dissolve. Steam is quite
reactive and corrosive, and will eat away at the copper tubing.
Perhaps some plastics might be alright especially those that can
withstand autoclaving.

Ivan