Evening Terry,

>>I have one installed before the rectifier, but it occurs to me that placing the GFCI after the rectifier would save the rectifier in case of a short (I burned one up with a short).

I doubt that the conventional GFCI will work properly with a DC input of any type. Reason being the fast solid state switching components, SCR's and SCS's are different that fast DC switching devices.

Do you use a Full Wave Bridge? Likely so. If so, you would gain some safety by using an isolation transformer.

If I was working with 110 volt DC, I would likely use an isolation transformer. Then of course, a GFCI would be worthless. If you grounded one side or the transformer, you would be back where you started.

Very likely you are safe enough as is. As long as you are the only operator the safety is in your hands.

No amount of gadgets and safety circuits can replace good sense and everyday safety practices.

I hate to say this, but about a week ago I worked all afternoon on a service replacement. We were running temporary power to this panel from the old panel. The meter was pulled to isolate the power company power. ( so we thought )

However, this was a very old panel we were replacing. It had input terminals at the bottom and the top. The main buss fed straight thru under the meter, and the meter being laying on the ground did not interrupt the these busses. Pulling the power company meter only removed power from the terminals coming out the side to the breaker busses.

I made several connections to connect this temporary service and the main breakers from the old meter base, even changed the main breaker a time or two. Later I found out that I was working full power off the pole without even a fuse between me and the fault current.

If I had not formed my work habits over the years to work everything as if it were hot, I would likely be a statistic now.

I never felt a single shock or even saw a tiny arc all afternoon.

There are a lot of ways to make things safe. And, at the same time, no matter what all you do to make something safe, it is not. So..... safety is always in the hands of the operator.

Wayne

To join or quit silver-list or silver-digest send an e-mail message to: silver-list-requ...@eskimo.com -or- silver-digest-requ...@eskimo.com