Whole Earth Review has had several articles about people who eat earth!
You might check their archives.   The US Southern states still have
rural folks who eat earth for their health.

Higa's EM pribiotics are used in agriculture to promote healthy soil.
(See archives.)    I would rather drink the EM than eat the soil . . .

JBB