Hello again,

Recently I reported results of comparing CS production of a control batch
with constant current same polarity verses a batch produced with constant
current but relay switched voltage reversals.  Brew time was 4 hours with
constant 30 RPM paddle stirring.  The result was the reversed batch was
about 55% weaker than the control batch.

Ole Bob did his best to convince me I did something wrong, and that the
strength of the two batches should have been about the same.  I thought
perhaps I was trying to make too strong a brew, and I should cut down the
brew time.  So I did another experiment as follows:

Both cases were run for 3 hours with constant stirring at 55 degrees F
starting with 0.8 uS DW.  I use an electronically regulated constant current
of about 1.11 ma.  I didn't have quite enough voltage to draw the full 1.11
ma at the run starts, but the current was 1.11 ma for the majority of the 3
hours.  Both brews look the same as the original DW-perfectly clear.   Here
are the results.

1) Control (no reversal):  Some gunk sluffed off the wires.

Starting V=174.1 & i=0.79 ma.  Starting Resistance=220KOhm
Ending uS=10.9, V=17.4 & i=1.13.  Ending resistance=15.4KOhm

uS gain due to silver ions =10.9-0.8=10.1.  Using Ivan's & Frank Key's &
Trem's conversion factor of 1 to 1.1, the PPM  is 10.1 to 11.1.

Using Ivan's recently posted formula, PPM for ions =1.3 * Rstart/Rend =
17.7.  Ivan - why the big difference (17.7 compared to 10-11)?

2) Reversal:  Polarity switched each 60 seconds which Ole Bob says gives the
best results.  Wires got black but no gunk sluffed off.

Starting V=171.4 & i=0.82 ma.  Starting R=209KOhm
Ending uS=6.4, V=31 & i=1.12.  Ending R=27.7KOhm

PPM ala recent Ivan formula is 1.3 *209/27.7=9.8.

uS gain due to silver ions=6.4-0.8=5.6.  So PPM ala Trem et al is 5.6-6.2.

So this batch is 5.6 uS/10.1 uS * 100 = 55% weaker.

So, sadly, I again conclude polarity switching produces significantly weaker
ionic silver concentrations.  The first experiment showed that if the
reversed brew time is doubled, the strength was still not as much as the
non-reversed case, and black pepper-like particles began to fall off the
wires.

Again, I conclude that I don't see any advantage to polarity switching which
justifies the extra complexity.  I don't mind a bit of gunk sluff-off as I
am able to decant off almost all the brew and leave the gunk behind in the
jar.

Someone else can continue with polarity reversal experiments - I think I
have performed my last one.

--Steve Young