Reid,

your problem is that you are not an electrical engineer, and hence are
having difficulty undeerstanding the problem. so I will asttempt to provide
the missing data. Some things you will have to take on faith.

You are puzzled about 109 volts dropping to 82 volts and the current going
from 15 to 55 ma.

What you have is a "constant voltage system" that does not have sufficient
"stiffness" to deliver the current that your cell is demanding. The voltage
drop is due to inadequate wire size in the transformer.  If your transformer
had enough "beef" the voltage would have stayed at 109 volts even as the
current increased. It sounds like your transformer has less than a 100 va
rating.

In a "constant current system" set to regulate at 5 ma.the voltage will stay
at about the no load value i.e. say 36 volts as the current increases from
0.20 ma to about 3 ma. then the voltage will start to drop as the current
increases. When the current hits the 5 ma. set limit the voltage will be
about 5 to 8 volts and will stay at that level and the current will stay at
5 ma. Hence the name "constant current."

Realize that when inadequate parts are put together all kinds of screwy
results  can and do happen. The amazing thing is that inspite of all of the
"shade tree" engineering or lack of it, people make good CS.

I happen to be a retired registered professional engineer witth degrees in
electronics and power, so I tend to look at things with a different eye.

I hope this clears up things for you.

"Ole Bob"