Before you give up on this particular (g) theory, try doing the bubbling while
putting a current through the DW; perhaps stainless steel (yummy, love that
nickel!)
or carbon electrodes? or more seriously use a permeable membrane such as good
ol'
cellophane to trap ions out of the DW.  Similar to but a bit more effective
than the
"bagging"suggested to reduce silver oxide.
Take care, Malcolm