Hi Maxine,

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:44:12 -0700, "Maxine Wilton"
<mm...@sprynet.com> wrote:

>I AM SEEING  MESSAGES HERE ABOUT USING A STARTER FOR MAKING A JAR OF  CS.
>Are you supose to use a starter every time you make a new jar of CS?????

No, there is no need for a starter.

>IS the statrter supose to be  a cup of  CS that you have made???
> Explain this and what happens if you dont use  a starter???
> What is the end result???

The only thing a starter does is to speed up the CS-making process a
bit.  But it also means you have to be more careful of how long you
let the generator run.  If you are making 16 ounces of CS in a batch,
then adding 1 ounce of CS from your previous batch will probably cut
the "brewing" time in half.

If you use a CS generator that has an automatic shutoff, then you
don't have to worry about the time.

The reason a starter helps is that pure distilled water doesn't
conduct electricity very well -- very poorly, in fact.  So the first
15 minutes (for 16 ounces) or more you're making very little CS
because there's very little current flow.  Once there's enough CS
made, then the current flow increases and the process speeds up.  A
starter allows the increased current from the start of the process.

-- Dean -- from (almost) Des Moines -- KB0ZDF