In article <c87a4132-60ca-11d6-915f-0003931de...@pc.jaring.my>,
Gary Green <lim...@pc.jaring.my> wrote:

>On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 10:17 AM, John A. Stanley wrote:
>
>> A year ago I switched to Win2000, and it has been rock solid stable. I
>> imagine that XP will become equally stable after the general public beta
>> tests it for another year or so.
>
>Guess you don't expect much from it.

What I expect is that my computer be able to run software written for
the computer platform used by the vast majority of computer users so
that I'm not left out in the cold when some really cool app comes out
that is not available for other platforms (like what happened with
Napster, dialpad.com, etc.) Win9x did it, albeit poorly at times;
Win2000 does it excellently.

And, during the whole time I've been using computers I keep seeing
instances where there was better software available for Windows than
Mac. For example, back in my BBSing days I heard nothing but complaints
about the Mac QWKmail readers, yet Offline Express worked flawlessly. A
few years ago when my Mac user brother needed my help to learn how to
use IRC I was stunned how crummy Ircle was compared to Pirch or even
mIRC. More recently, there were all the complaints about Media Player
for Mac. The truth is, I have yet to discover anything I want to do
for which I would benefit by switching to a Mac.

>Try something Unix based.  You'll be amazed.

I have a Linux box on the LAN at my office in town providing dial-up to
a Linux box in my basement that provides wireless Internet access in the
house. It's great for what I use it for, but it certainly hasn't amazed
me enough to put it on my desktop.

--
John A. Stanley                           j...@natel.net