From: M. G. Devour [mailto:mdev...@eskimo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 6:04 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>Source for recipes?

To put the distilled water issue in perspective:

Early on people advocated using a "pinch" of salt or a few drops of
brine solution to their DW as a "starter" to speed the production of
CS. Plenty of folks, including me, used this and saw positive results
with no known cases of harm.

The drawbacks are the likelihood of making silver chloride in small
quantities, which is not likely a serious problem due to it's
relatively low toxicity and solubility, *and* that the particles tended
to be larger due to the high current that resulted.

Distilled water is said to make smaller particles, but it takes longer
and forces you to deal with some plating out of "fluff" on the
negative electrode, either by periodic wiping or some form of stirring
and/or polarity switching. You don't, however, make other compounds
with this process, unlike when using salt.

Now, if you think of using tap water, stream water, water from the
rain barrel, reverse osmosis water, or a pinch of sea salt... Whatever
dissolved salts and other impurities you introduce to your process are
available to make compounds of God knows what. It could be miniscule
amounts, but how much is too much?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the reaction would go very fast,
being done within a few minutes, using anything other than DW. Run too
long and you'll have mud.

For topical, household, or animal use, just about anything could work.
But for human consumption, DW is the safe bet. In an emergency or
survival situation, I'd risk using whatever water I had rather than let
somebody die of an infection, for instance, but I'd get back to
distilled as soon as possible.

Hope that helps.

Be well,

Mike D.