Fluffy grey deposits are semi insulative and can fool 'auto off' circuitry.
They form when the hydrogen bubbles don't get big enough for their bouyancy to overcome their adhesion to the electrode before silver gets trapped on the bubbles surface tension. The silver can get sturdy enough to encrust the bubble and stabilize it and another small bubble will start to form on top of that one, in turn, becoming encrusted. Meanwhile, the ion path becomes limited because, unless the silver particles are actually touching each other, they won't conduct anything. In effect, electrode surface area reduces and that throws all calibration out the window. An auto off circuit is tuned to electrode surface area and the amount of current being used. [among other factors]
Pulling too little current seems to contribute to small bubble formation quite a bit. You can just wipe the formation off till the conductivity of the water is sufficient, or seed the water with CS to raise that initial conductivity.
Another factor can be water pressure from stirrers. If the pressure wave from moving water is great enough it will compress the hydrogen bubbles on the side facing the water current and prevent them from growing. An encrustation will grow in the direction of the water current.
Using a bubbler might eliminate that element but not sure what all that extra air being dissolved into the water does.
Perhaps a stirrer can be run fast enough to blast the bubbles off when they're really small. {gotta try that}
The 777 is a current controlled generator. It doesn't matter. If the water is very pure and won't conduct sufficiently, the current draw will be very low no matter what. It can take hours and hours for it to come up to the set current at the maximum voltage the power supply will deliver. Unless the 777 uses a comparator chip I have yet to discover, anything over 36 volts will blow it out.
Seeding and moving the electrodes closer together [gradually moving them apart as the current starts flowing] are two ways to get around that. Conductivity is a function of distance in the water. Moving the elctrodes is one way of manually regulating current in non regulated generators.
Bending the electrode tips toward or away from each other to take advantage of 'edge discharge characteristics' modifies both the 'off' point and the voltage/current relationship somewhat by altering the 'apparent' electrode spacing.
Edges and tips produce a higher current density than faces and rounds. You maybe could bend them towards each other to start and gradually rotate the ends parallel towards the end..if they will rotate. [Not sure how they are mounted in the 777] If the electrodes are ribbon silver, this would face half the edges toward each other..not sure what would happen. [probably nothing major other than weird electrode wear and a calibration change]
Facing the tips away from each other increases run time and strength a little by fooling the 'off' circuit. That may also prevent premature tip and edge erosion, especially on a wire electrode which has only one edge [the tip]
ken