Dear Ian,
                    While Dr. Beck's original unit was quite effective,
it is quite dated and
is....essentially....obsolete and less than cost-effective----in today's
climate.  We constructed four of them 6 or 7 years ago and they worked
fine but had several restrictive limitations.  e.g. very costly to keep
in batteries, no pulse timing interval control, and most
important.....not powerful enough.  If you will go to
            http://www.royalrife.com/      which is Dr. Richard E.
Lloyd's website you will find a much improved version of the original
pulser idea designed by Dr. Beck.  Just scroll down until you come to
the  Super thumpy listing in the index-----this is a splendid little
unit and quite simple to construct, as the only real modification is the
substitution of the large firing capacitor.  the instructions are
first-rate and the cost of the Radio Shack strobe unit is around
$35.00.  It is quite a rugged little unit.
            The only additional modification I would suggest is that you
bore a large number of holes (1/8 or 3/16" dia.) in the outer case
(while you have it removed).  this will greatly improve the cooling
efficiency......especially if you are making long runs.
            You may effectively employ Dr. Beck's original magnetic coil
design.
            We have constructed dozens of these devices and given them
to needy individuals------without exception they have performed in
splendid fashion.
            Since this unit operates from standard wall power (115 vac
here in the U.S.), you should be able to utilize any properly-sized
dropping resistor or step-down transformer to match the voltage
requirement.  The frequency variation should be of no consequence, since
the actual firing pulse occurrs in the D.C. section of the circuitry and
is controlled by the potentiometer setting of the control knob on the
front.  This unit is very economical to operate, has a very long life
between bulb replacements (10,000+ pulses has been a good average for
us), and exhibits the additional characteristic of providing very
stable, incrementally selectable, firing times of  .5 to 4 seconds
between  pulses (the 2 second interval yields, almost, maximum
power----3 second interval will yield full-strength  pulse for which
this design is capable.  1 second interval is quite effective, but does
exhibit less (about 25%) tissue-penetration, than the somewhat longer
charging times facilitate.
            Additionally, we have constructed a version of the Haining
unit (also discussed on his website) and obtained splendid results.
However, it is considerably more of a challenge to fabricate and
somewhat more costly.....but it is a VERY powerful unit and has provided
(for us) quite exceptional results in certain difficult cases
nonresponsive (or nearly so) to the effects of the less powerful
Beck-designed unit.  However, for your applications.....especially due
to the fact Haining's unit is designed for 240 volts at 50 hertz......it
might be an inviting alternative.
                        I believe you will be quite pleased with
Richard's modification  of Dr. Beck's original approach.
            `                                    Sincerely,  Brooks
Bradley.
p.s.  If you decide to construct a Haining unit, I suggest you contact
Dr. Lloyd directly via email and discuss the design and obtain his
counsel.