may find it interesting.
"From: Ode Coyote (view other messages by this author)
 Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 07:49:58

  Too vigerous stirring promotes the growth of the "grey fuzzies" on one
electrode.
 The pressures of the water on that electrode prevents hydrogen bubble from
growing large enough for their bouyancy to overcome their adhesion to the
electrode and silver becomes trapped on the surface tension of the hydrogen
bubbles via 'high speed' collosion.  This forms a semi solid 'foamy'
structure that grows in the direction of the water current and may
sometimes fall off the electrode in a cylindrical chunk and sink to the
bottom. [if using round wire for electrodes]
 The semi solid formation also prevents the hydrogen bubbles from growing,
so new small bubbles form on top of the previous ones and you get thicker
and thicker "grey fuzzy" deposits.
 The grey fuzzies are also semi insulative. If your generator has a voltage
referencing circuit to indicate PPM [via ionic conductivity] or as a means
of an automatic shut down, a thick build up will throw it out of calibration.

Running the stirrer at a slower speed [or shortening the stirrer] greatly
reduces the incidence of the "grey fuzzies" The water should be visibly
moving but not like a tornado.

If the generator is allowed to just sit with power off, the grey fuzzies
will emit an "ion cloud" [misnomer in common usage] that's identical to the
original cloud that formed them...as the hydrogen bubbles slowly dissipate,
releasing trapped silver particles.

 Oddly, if the electrodes are well pitted and used, both formation of the
grey fuzzies and silver oxides ["black stuff"...to be completely scientific
about it] are reduced.

 The bubbler method of stirring might actually be superior to the
mechanical stirrer where deposits are concerned because upward motion of
the bubbles might tend to wipe the electrodes clean of hydrogen bubbles
with bubble to bubble collisions...but not having tried it, I don't know
for sure.
 What all that added dissolved oxygen does to the CS, I also don't know. I
would think that it would combine with ionic silver and make a black
deposit on the bottom of the container, blacken the CS or possibly lead to
various colored crystal formation.

 It is my belief [not proven] that oxygen plays some role in the formation
of larger crystals. In fact, the addition of hydrogen peroxide to distilled
water and used as a 'starter' has produced very large , very silvery, metal
flakes [just like what you'd find in metal flake paint]
...and...adding a small amount of hydrogen peroxide will clear the color of
colored CS.
 I believe that o3 and H2O2 have scavenging properties that interact with
the oxygen in CS crystals [if the crystal does indeed have any oxygen in
its matrix] and oxide deposits in some way.

 H2O2 will clean and shine a black electrode at first [very quickly]...then
blacken it again later on. [weird!]

 Just exactly what does a CS crystal matrix consist of?

[BTW, not saying that oxygen content..if there IS an oxygen componant..of a
CS crystal/particle... is responsible for the color of the
crystal/particle...just that it might have something to do with its size]

 What do charged silver ions 'grow' around to form a colloidal particle
[crystal?] if the like charge is constantly repelling other like ions?
[real question...not a statement]
Taking into account orientation of some ions with oxygen atoms in water
molecules. [hydration?].  What happens when ion concentration exceeds the
water molecules available ? [well sure, particle precipitation...but what
about that repulsive ion charge? Where does it go?]

Could several AG+ ions share electrons with one O2 molecule or one oxygen
atom resulting an 'over' charged particle?

 Would it even be possible to make colored CS with absolutely dissolved
oxygen free water in a vaccuum or inert gas?  Would particles form at all
if there were no avenue for the ion charge to leak off or otherwise be
neutralized? Or, can a pure silver multi atom particle have a charge, or a
charge of greater than +1?

 Could a clear and colorless CS "go yellow" later on if it were kept in an
oxygen free environment?

 I do believe and have observed that fresh ozonated distilled water forms
heavier black deposits on both the electrode and the bottom of the
container if the ion path gets lose to the bottom [O3-  plus AG+ = silver
oxides...right?] and is more likely to produce a yellow CS than the same
water that has been allowed to vent for a few days. [bubbles form of the
side of the container and bubble off...indicating the escape of dissolved
gasses]

Ken