Rich, I guess it comes down to what you mean by "runaway".
The contrary to "runaway" is current controlled or limited, where the
current reaches a certain level and stays at that level. The level is
set to limit the amount of sludge (dendrites) being produced, and on
the supplied example (http://www.hvacsilver.com/lvdc_cs.htm) this
would be somewhat before "Heavy Treeing on Cathode" mark.

However, this example uses constant stirring and therefore does not
qualify as a constant voltage generator, but rather needs the constant
stirring qualifier because the processes differ. Stop the stirring and
then the current, I suspect, will rise exponentially (to a point) and
the CS will eventually become a dirty grey.

That, is what I understand current "runaway" to mean.

Regards
Ivan