> ...Please do tell, what exactly is real?

"It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long,
long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become
Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you
are Real you don't
mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by
bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It
takes a long time. That's
why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp
edges, or who have to be
carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair
has been loved off, and
your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But
these things don't matter
at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people
who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not
said it, for he thought
the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

"The Boy's Uncle made me Real," he said. "That was a great many years
ago; but once you are
Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."
http://www.writepage.com/velvet.htm
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
jr