Dear TJ,
                        First, this pathogen is NOT as new as the media
indicates....this is just one of the first cases they have chosen to
highlight.  A research group (much larger than our own) with whom we have
had execellent relations over the past years......informs us that this agent
has been around for "at least" the past five years.  Additionally, multiple
endeavors have been executed.....designed to identify the characters (and
the evolutionary/mutational parameters) exhibited by this pathogen.  I do
not believe it would be sufficiently productive to comment upon the exact
data we were presented.....or to elaborate on the details.  Generally, (we
are instructed) this staph agent presents a somewhat similar effect as
several other of its relatives.  The principal difference effecting, seems
to be its (Staph A.) powerful ABX resistance.
Both vancomycin and methicillin proved to be ineffective in generating
acceptable control.....in cases of mastitis presenting in milk cows
(although methicillin did delay the acceleration).
                        Although we have no first-hand information (direct
evaluations),  our informants state that "in vitro" evaluations using 15 to
20 ppm colloidal silver......disabled this pathogenic agent just as RAPIDLY
as any of the ABX non-resistant strains (less than 6 minutes).  Since this
pathogen succumbed  just as rapidly to simple CS protocols as did the less
virulent strains......no further investigations were prosecuted.   These
evaluations were conducted....and completed.....in calendar 2000.
                        While the possibility does exist that the SPECIFIC
agent alluded to in the press release.....is yet another variation/mutation
of Staph A., the likelihood is quite remote.  And even if true, the odds are
extremely high......it would fare no better than its
predecessors.......against CS.
                        Additionally, evaluations utilizing CS infusions
directly into the udder (together with ONE IV CS treatment, given at the
protocol beginning) yielded 95% control of Staph A. in the SAME cows that,
earlier, were non-responsive to antibiotic agents (including vancomycin and
methicillin).  And this-----within 36 hours of initiation of the protocol.
                        These data were not published or made available as a
public
information release.....for reasons not elaborated upon.......to us.
                                    Sincerely,  Brooks.
p.s.  Although the genome of Staph A. has been charted, current wisdom
emanating from CDC and related scions of knowledge-----seem ineffective in
proscribing the good health of this organism (Staph A.).  At least in-so-far
as outlining a "patent-based" drug protocol.  Actually, the most often
quoted procedure is one outlining/emphasizing antiseptic
handling/environmental procedures.  i.e.  We have no curative procedure to
offer......at present.