On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:57:02 -0500, Norman Cameron <daddyk...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>hi
>Just a suggestion....right click on mouse and choose and left click on "select
>all"......
>with respect
>encee

(Sigh)
It's in the silver lists rules NOT to use processor formatted text.
Here's some other info that's apropos from http://www.geoapps.com/nomime.shtml

                                                        Chuck
The E-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail..

What is wrong with sending HTML or MIME messages?
There are now five main reasons for NOT doing this:

Many E-mail and Usenet News reader programs, usually the mail and news reader
programs that come with browser packages, allow users to include binary
attachments (MIME or other encoding) or HTML (normally found on web pages)
within their E-mail messages. This makes URLs into clickable links and it means
that graphic images, formatting, and even color coded text can also be included
in E-mail messages. While this makes your E-mail interesting and pretty to look
at, it can cause problems for other people who receive your E-mail because they
may use different E-mail programs, different computer systems, and different
application programs whose files are often not fully compatible with each other.
Any of these can cause trouble with in-line HTML (or encoded attachments). Most
of the time all they see is the actual HTML code behind the message. And if
someone replies to the HTML formatted message, the quoting can render the
message even more unreadable. In some cases, the message is nothing but strange
looking text. For this reason, many mailing lists especially those that provide
a digest version, explicitly forbid the use of HTML formatted e-mail. See
examples section.
When you send an attachment, like a word processor file, to have it appear on
the other end as the exact same type of file the recipient must have hardware
and software that can read that file. For example, if you attach a Microsoft
Word file, and the recipient of your message is using a word processor that
can't open MS Word files, that person isn't going to be able to open your
attachment and they are less than likely to be very happy about it.

HTML or MIME messages are larger and more wasteful than simple text messages.
Using HTML or MIME in E-mail messages makes the messages larger in size by a
mimimum of two thirds to more than twenty times. These will take longer to
download and they take up more storage space than standard plain text E-mail
messages.
E-mail storage is important because many people retain copies of messages they
receive and in the case of mailing list digests, the individual messages are
combined in one large message and sent to the user at the end of the day. Some
mailing list programs fail to format the digest correctly if HTML messages
appear. In addition, many mailing lists archive the messages for periods of 6
months or more to enable users to search for particular past postings.

HTML or MIME messages leave or include unwanted files (attachments) on the
machines of the recipients of these messages.
Embedded HTML or MIME attachments are the number one method of spreading virus,
worm or Trojan programs.
For instance, the Forgotten worm was written in Visual Basic Script and spread
without any attachment. Instead, the worm code was embedded into the HTML
formatted message body.

The I Love You worm program exploited an ActiveX vulnerability and was executed
just by viewing or previewing the e-mail message without opening any attachment.

Likewise, embedded code could exploit some MS Office vulnerability as with
Office ODBC Vulnerabilites and Specially Formed Script in HTML Mail can Execute
in Exchange 5.5

HTML messages can trigger dialups to the Internet if they contain links to
specific images called "web bugs" that are used to track message and advertiser
viewing. See Web Bug FAQ

MIME encoded attachments with file extensions (BAT, COM, DOC, EML, EXE, HTA, JS,
PPT, SHS, VBE, VBS, WSH, XL#) have been the most common method of sending
viruses, worms and Trojan programs because their code will be executed by
Windows and associated viewers or other MS programs when the attachment is
opened. Windows uses the extension to determine what the default action on a
file will be. For instance, a .txt file will open in Notepad and a .html file
will open in Internet Explorer.

Uncommon, but no less dangerous are file extensions (386, ACM, ACV, ADT, AX,
BIN, BTM, CLA, CPL, CSC, CSH, DEV, DLL, DOT, DRV, HLP, HTM, HTT, INF, INI, JSE,
JTD, MDB, MP#, MPP, MPT, MSO, OBD, OBT, OCX, OLE, OV#, PIF, PL, PM, POT, PP#,
PPS, PRC, RAR, RTF, SCR, SH, SHB, SMM, SYS, VSD, VSS, VST, VXD, WSF, XL#, XLB,
XTP).

HTML quickly fills the memory of PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants like the Palm
Pilot). In addition, many HTML messages are also completely unreadable on most
PDAs.
Plain text is how your messages should be formatted when sending E-mail to
mailing lists and Usenet newsgroups or to any other recipient. Though this rule
is not yet cast in "Netiquette" stone, it is a good policy to follow if you want
quick and informative responses to your questions and wish to avoid being
"flamed" as a clueless newbie.

HTML is meant for the WWW; not for mailing lists, Usenet newsgroups postings,
proper business E-mail correspondence and preferably not for personal E-mail
unless the recipient is expecting it.

MIME encoded mail is generally used to send attachments that consist of
pictures, sound files, spreadsheets, word-processing documents, zip files, or
other binary files to recipients that have and use the same operating system,
the same word processing program and a common E-mail program such as Eudora,
Pegasus, Netscape, or Outlook.

MIME attachments are not wanted on mailing lists, Usenet newsgroups postings,
business E-mail correspondence, and preferably not for personal E-mail unless
the recipient is expecting it.

If you must send an attachment, then before you send the message with the
attachment, ALWAYS send the recipient a message telling them you are about to
send them an attachment. This will, at least, let them know to expect a message
with an attachment from you.

An exception to the "no MIME attachments rule" can be made for PGP (Pretty Good
Privacy), GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard), or other "Digital ID" signed e-mail. In this
case, individuals, mailing lists, and Usenet newsgroups that use signed e-mail
are probably expecting it. See MIME Security with Pretty Good Privacy (PGP).

For more background information see Netiquette Guidelines (RFC1855)