I'm with you, Diane, I mostly stay away from the
meds.  Altho, gotta say I was glad to have some
Vicodin for kidney stones along with Chinese
herbs and acupuncture....kept me out of the
$$$ hospital.  Ouch!
Not sure about pets, but allergies in people generally
mean depleted adrenals.  Babies can even be born
with depleted adrenals if the mother is depleted and
has been 'sucking the fetus' dry in the third trimester.
This all lowers immunity, and, CS is going to help kill
what the immune system would normally have to
deal with, so you're right it, it could only help.
Maybe you'd like to pass this alt-treatment for
allergies to your friend...not sure it is available
near her.     Hopefully, she'll get back with the CS
and will pressure her vet for answers!
Kit
<http://www.vetnaet.com/about.html>http://www.vetnaet.com/about.html