Dear Shirley,
                    Our investigations addressing topical uses of DMSO
revealed that a consequential number of volunteers presented reactions
announcing various forms of outer skin irritations.......when the
solution strength was 70% or higher.   Without offering an analysis of
the whys, I would just suggest that you utilize a weaker (50% suggested)
strength.  At 50% we, almost never, experienced any form of skin surface
compromise, during our research, from  among any of our volunteer
populations.......including the very elderly.
                    Good luck in your personal experimental researches.
                                        sincerely,  Brooks Bradley.